Reviewing the previous masterplan
Alongside looking at which building façades could be retained, the design team also considered how the masterplan layout for the residential part of the site could better reflect the site’s railway heritage.
The masterplan (shown in part below) sought to create a new street layout for the western part of the site. However, as part of the design review, the team looked at the existing site (bottom image) and its buildings to see how a new masterplan might better reflect this historic layout.
Previous masterplan layout
Existing building layout plan
New residential masterplan (Click image below to enlarge)
The key features of the new layout are:
- Creation of a main boulevard through the site which follows/ reflects the current east-west railway line
- Layout of new buildings to reflect layout of existing sheds
- Retention of key façades of existing sheds
- Retention of railway and traverser tracks
- Scale of open spaces to reflect large working yards
- Provision of new workspace for new and growing businesses
Illustrative sketch of the potential skyline of Wolverton Works across the residential part of the site
Masterplan: character areas
The new residential masterplan is arranged into five ‘character’ areas shown below. These relate to the character of the existing Wolverton Works today plus that of the surrounding area.
Plan showing main ‘character areas’ of buildings (Click to enlarge)